Thursday, October 11, 2007

Trains and animals!


We have a really big break between classes now, so I can use this time and write about something. After writing about a chicken statue, I decided that I am going to write a blog about a bear. Simply I remembered something that I can share. Not such a long time ago my sister came to visit me and I decided to take her to Banff and Lake Louise. So we were driving there and suddenly we saw many cars parked on the side of a road with dozen people on the hill looking at something. Of course we ( as curious creatures) also pulled over aside and decided to check it out. We climbed the hill and realized that everybody was looking at a middle sized bear who sat exactly on the railway tracks and was eating something not paying much attention to surroundings( you can see the picture). Honestly, I was really scared and thought that in any second a train could arrive and hit him, in front of my eyes. I've heard many stories before about these kind of accidents when even the whole bear families had been killed on the railroads of Canada. I looked around, but people snapped photos and continued staring at the bear. Really, I didn't know what to do. I wanted to make him leave somehow, just to see him out of the tracks. I even tried to yell at him, but obviously he didn't understand English or Russian. One moment I even wanted to throw a stone toward his direction , but wasn't sure that it will be considered as a proper behaviour. Unfortunately, he hadn't moved and we had to leave after spending about a half an hour trying to hypnotise him and make him go back to the woods. I hope that he had left before a train came. By the way, I know that grammatically correct to say it about an animal, but I guess I have a trouble with it, I keep saying he or she, like with people, they are not things, right...? I think that Municipality or other organisations should take some actions and built a security fence or something in order to protect animals from these kind of accidents. I feel really sad about this......

3 comments:

maja said...

I remember the first time I've been to Canada more than ten years ago I've seen both a black bear and a grizzly! It was very exciting for it was the first time I had ever seen a bear in wildlife. It's interesting how they ignore humans sometimes!

Scott Douglas said...

I always call bears he or she. It's okay to call an animal he or she if you are "personifying" the animal. All our pets are he's and she's!

Bill said...

It was an exciting thing and I hope I can see it. I never see some animals on the road in China......