Friday, November 9, 2007

Vision or my new "eyes" !


This week was kind of difficult for me because my headaches increased, so on Monday I realized that I couldn't read nor could I look at the computer any more. I felt terrible pain and pressure in my eyes , mostly when I was reading or tried to focus on something for more than 5-10 minutes. I felt lucky that I had managed to do the most of the "due assignments" during the past weekend, and honestly somehow despite the discomfort I could hand in everything on time ( I just hate to postpone things). So , again, I felt no energy and was scared what is wrong with me, so I called to the ophthalmologist ( an eye doctor) who said that they cannot accept clients without a special letter from a family doctor. Ok, I went to see a family doctor who said that I need to see an optometrist - one who gives prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. So I called to a clinic to make an appointment and found out that the next available date is only next week. I knew that I can't wait any longer and kept searching for other places until I found an optometrist for this week (for yesterday). Unfortunately, I had to skip listening quiz, but I was so desperate, I couldn't relax, my eyes were so tensed and my brain couldn't think of anything else except this discomfort. Finally I was examined by a doctor who said that it could be migraines that caused the pressure as well as my vision decreased in one eye significantly. Eventually, I got new prescription and ordered new glasses. Actually, a sales person said at first that they should to be ready in a week or so, but seeing my reaction changed 1 week to 1 hour!!! Yeees, I was so happy! So I got new glasses, and I think I feel better now although it always takes some time to get used to the new pair of glasses. I don't know, may be I have to change lighting on my desk and stop reading in the bed in a horizontal position ? The one thing I know for sure, when I studying intensely I must let my eyes rest or make some special eye exercise every hour or two. Otherwise it will cause another impairment of my vision. People who have 100% vision - it is such a gift! You should be careful and follow all the rules in order to keep it. I wasn't following them and it turned out badly. The thing is I won't be able to study if I disregard these important things such as to keep a proper distance when you read ( at least 30 cent.) or sitting up when you read, etc. In short, take care of your eyes carefully, protect your vision! I know it's hard, especially when you read something interesting or surf the Internet ( you kind of forget about time), but we must remember how hard our eyes work........ I am so glad we have 4 days off and a small amount of homework because my eyes are still very tired and I'll just let them rest for a while.

4 comments:

Joy*^-^* said...

is that you who is doing the test in your picture?

maja said...

I'm glad you finally got your new glasses, and I hope your headaches will disappear too! I agree that not needing glasses or contact lenses would be even more comfortable. But I'm not sure how much we can really contribute to a good eyesight; I think it's mostly out of our control.

Bill said...

I hope you will be better soon.

Anonymous said...

you know what, i really envy all people who have 100% vision. I think they are really lucky. Even though i hate wearing glasses, i have to wear them.